Sunday 2 October 2011

Ergonomics

19-09-2011




My understanding is that ergonomics refers to the 'fit' between the activity, the person and the environment. According to Caulton & Dickson (2007) occupational therapists are involved with ergonomics as they "make slight invisible adjustments to an activity to adapt to the needs of those taking part and ensure that it continues to work for its intended purpose".




Ergonomics can be an important consideration when working in a kitchen. To some extent it is a consideration I need to think about when I am cooking but it is even more relevant to those who may work in a kitchen for long periods of time, perhaps for employment or who may have a disease/disorder that influences how they can perform in a kitchen setting.

Looking at the kitchen environment in terms of occupational therapy we must remember that the environment of which the kitchen assessment/cooking group etc is undertaken may differ from the client's home kitchen environment. This incorporates the design of the kitchen, the utensils that are available and the cues which help us manage the preparation of a meal and can be considered the practical considerations of cooking.
This week the most time I spent cooking was dinner on Wednesday night which is my usual night for cooking a dinner meal in my flat. I decided to cook spagetti bolognese as we had the right ingredients and I have made it in the past so I feel confident it is something I can do. For me, the prompt to cook and try my best to do a good job of it is to satisfy my flatmates and have them feel like I am pulling my weight within the flat. My kitchen environment is very limited in space however it has the relevant appliances for me to cook mostly whatever I choose which is a time saver. As a person I find that cooking for others creates a sense of 'giving' which I is something I value when I prepare a meal.








References:
Caulton, R. & Dickson, R. (2007). What’s going on? Finding an explanation for what we do. In J. Creek & A. Lawson-Porter (Eds.), Contemporary issues in occupational therapy (pp. 87-114). Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bree, I love how you have linked looking at your kitchen ergonomically in relation to patients and them having to use other kitchens that they are not familiar with. Maybe one thing you could work on is linking what you say in your blogs back to things we have learnt in class and on-line, such as what you have talked about in the last paragraph is about the 'PERSON' part of ergonomics. Using the timer on the oven is one of your 'preferences', the lack of space is how you 'feel' and the relevant utensils is what helps you feel 'competent' in cooking? Good work Bree! :)

    ReplyDelete